My name is Einar. I'm a programmer / white hat hacker, who stumbled into investigative journalism.
After years as a consultant and software security advisor, I now work for VG.no, where my job
involves anything from developing systems for darkweb indexing to drone piloting and photography.
Over the last few years, I've:
- tracked and identified physical child abusers on the dark web;
- tracked and identified purchasers of child abuse material on the clear net;
- tracked and identified iCloud hackers who've stolen and spread private pictures and videos;
- spoken at conferences/radio/tv, about subjects like investigative journalism, child abuse and surveillance;
- broken device- and software security barriers, and informed others how to fix them;
- contributed to open source, e.g. by writing the popular Node.js websocket library, "ws".
It's worth noting that the work I've been involved with relating to child abuse is journalistic.
In only one instance have we brought identifiable information to the police. This is in accordance
with press guidelines in Norway: Our job is to document and shed light, neither enforce the law nor prosecute.
The clear separation of press and police is in place, partially,
to ensure source protection. The one case we did bring to the police was due to immediate
danger to the life and health of a victim connected to the person we identified.
- NRKbeta (NO), 2017: "En dypere prat med om å grave i overgrepsforum"
- VG (NO), 2017: Jakten på WarHead: Historien om overgrepsforumet "Childs Play" på det mørke nettet
- VG (EN), 2017: Chasing WarHead: The story of dark web child abuse site "Childs Play"
- Splinter (EN), 2015: Online Vigilantes
- VG (EN), 2015: "This map shows 95,000 downloaders of child abuse pictures worldwide"
- VG (NO), 2016: Nedlasterne
- VG (EN), 2015: The Downloaders (Tracking downloaders of child abuse material)
- VG (NO), 2013: Høyre-politiker hacket nakenbilder av jenter
- Morgenbladet (NO), 2013: På kanten av loven
- NRK Dagsrevyen (NO), 2015: Kommentar til rettssak om spredning av bilder etter SnapChat-hack